The Imagine Galileo Test Builder provides tools that help Administrators and Teachers create tests and test questions that can be administered to your students. You can also add questions prebuilt by Imagine Galileo that are aligned to standard sets, or you can add questions from an Item Family that you or another member of your organization have created. The test and test questions you create can be shared with other Imagine Galileo users and used on multiple tests over multiple school years. After you have built and scheduled your test, it appears on your dashboard calendar.
To create and schedule a test:
- Log in to Imagine Galileo.
- Click Assessment > Test Construction > Test Builder.
- Use the Grade and Subject drop-down lists to choose the grade level and subject for which to create a test.
- (Optional) Uncheck the Text-to-Speech Enabled box to disable the Text-to-Speech feature.
- If left enabled, Text-to-Speech options will appear during test scheduling, and you can select which students receive the feature. However, it must be enabled for the test as a whole during test creation or you won't be able to assign the feature to individual students during scheduling.
- Not all item types have the text-to-speech feature, but most do. An example of an item that does not is a graph in a math test.
- (Optional) Type any test instructions you want to add to the test.
- Click Save.
- Click Item Builder to create new questions, or click Item Search to find prebuilt questions that are aligned to standards. If you choose Item Builder, skip to step 13. If you choose Item Search, continue to step 12.
- The Item Search allows you to search for test items that have been created by Imagine Galileo and aligned to standard sets, by Item Families that you or another member of your organization has created, or by test. Once you locate an item that you want to use, select Click to add item to test. Once you have added the test item(s) to your test, you can return to step 11 to build additional questions, or move to step 14 to publish your test.
- Choose the question item type you would like to create. You can create tests with open response (written and audio), classifying, drop-down, expanded selected response, multiple-choice, short answer, selectable text, and sequencing question types. Tests can include multiple test types.
Question Type Grading Description Open Response (Written) Manual A written open response requires the student to type their answer in the online textbox or on the paper provided by the educator. A test containing this type of test item can be administered online and offline. Open Response (Audio) Manual An audio open response requires the student to record their answer. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Classifying Automatic A classifying test item requires the student to use their mouse to drag and drop data elements into the appropriate order or place. Partial credit is NOT available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Drop-down Automatic A drop-down test item requires the student to select the correct response from the interactive dropdown field. There is a limit of 10 choices per dropdown. There is an unlimited number of dropdowns within the same test item. Partial credit is NOT available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Multiple-Choice Automatic Multiple-choice test items require the student to choose a single correct answer. Partial credit is NOT available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can be administered online and offline. Extended Selected Response Automatic An extended selected response test item is a multiple-choice test item that can have more than one correct answer. Partial credit is available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Selectable Text Automatic A selected text test item requires the student to select the correct response from the interactive hotspot(s). Partial credit is NOT available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Sequencing Automatic A sequencing test item requires the student to use their mouse to drag and drop data elements into the appropriate order or place. Partial credit is NOT available for this option. A test containing this type of test item can only be administered online. Short Answer Manual A short answer test item answer requires the student to type their answer into a small textbox. Student responses can not exceed 30 characters. A test containing this type of test item can be administered online and offline.
- After adding all test questions, check the Publish Test box.
- (Optional) Click Print Offline Test for Student. A PDF copy of your test will open.
- Click Schedule Test.
- Administrators, confirm where the test will be administered. Use the drop-down list boxes to make changes. Teachers, skip to step 18.
- Use the drop-down list boxes to choose a Library and Test. Click Preview to preview the test.
- Use the drop-down list box to choose an Instructor of Record.
- Choose when students can access the test. You will want to make it available for the amount of time that students have available to take the test. If you make a test available for longer than that allotted time, a student could log into the system, retake the exam, or change their answers.
How assessments are scheduled will impact the report results. It is ideal to schedule assessments only for the classes in which students will take the test. Limiting who is scheduled for a test will allow for a more accurate measure of participation.
- Choose Timed Test. If you choose to have a timed test you can also choose to Allow pause during the test including duration of the test.
- Choose if you want to post student scores and/or post student responses. If you choose to post students' scores, select the date and time you want the scores and the responses posted.
- Choose the type of tools to include for student use.
Imagine Learning recommends allowing students to use tools that they will have access to on the high-stakes tests they will take.
- Use the checkboxes to apply any additional settings. By default, no additional settings are applied.
You should NOT randomize the order of test questions in tests that contain read-aloud test items, Technology Enhanced Early Learning Assessment Series, certain English College Prep benchmark tests, and Automated Scoring Key (ASK) tests.
The option to assign tests to only students in the test grade level supports teachers who have mixed grade-level classes.
- Review all test settings, then click Save.
- You are returned to the Teacher Dashboard where the new test appears on your calendar.