For schools or districts who have chosen to implement the Imagine Galileo ELA Benchmark or the NWEA™ MAP® Growth Assessment, the article below applies only to students in Grade Pre-K. If your school or district is using the Imagine Language & Literacy (IL&L) assessments, this article applies to all grade levels. If you aren't sure which assessment your school is using, read Checking which assessment option your organization is using.
District and School Administrators can change the enablement settings for the Beginning-of-the-Year (BOY), Middle-of-Year (MOY), and End-of-Year (EOY) Benchmark tests and Reading Level Assessments. District Administrators can change the test enablement settings for all schools in their district, while School Administrators can change the enablement settings for their school. Teachers do not have permissions to change test enablement settings.
- By default, all three Benchmarks are enabled and all three Reading Level Assessments (RLAs) are disabled. Be sure you've read Understanding Placement and Benchmark tests in Imagine Language & Literacy and Understanding Reading Level Assessments in Imagine Language & Literacy to help you decide if you want to change these defaults. We strongly recommend that you keep all three Benchmark tests enabled because the scores provide a measurement of student growth throughout the year.
- If you enable both the Benchmark and the RLA for the same testing period, your students will receive the RLA immediately after they finish the Benchmark. If you are concerned about testing fatigue, you can keep the Benchmark enabled and keep the Reading Level Assessment disabled during the first part of the testing window. Then, after most or all of your students have completed the Benchmark, change the RLA setting to Enabled towards the end of the testing period. Students will then have 28 days from the day they start the Reading Level Assessment to complete it.
- An additional consideration with the RLA is your student population. If most of your students are in Grades PreK-2, for example, you may not want to enable the RLA since students must be in Grade 2 or above (and have finished or tested out of the Beginning Books) to qualify for the assessment.
- Remember to communicate the enablement status to the teachers in your school or district, especially if you change any of the defaults or delay the start of the RLA to eliminate testing fatigue.
The table below summarizes the testing windows and dates and the default enablement settings. The windows open and close on UTC time so please plan accordingly.
|Test Period||Dates||Benchmark Default Setting||RLA Default Setting|
|August 1 - October 31||Enabled
(and cannot be disabled)
|December 1 - February 28||Enabled||Disabled|
|April 1 - June 30||Enabled||Disabled|
All new students take the Placement test to place them in their personalized starting point in the IL&L curriculum. All returning students take the Benchmark test. There is no option to enable or disable the Placement test; it is automatically delivered to all students who are brand-new to IL&L.
To change the default Benchmark/RLA enablement settings:
- Log in to Imagine Language & Literacy.
- On the right side of the dashboard, under the Test Settings heading, click Update Student Test Settings.
- Choose the Benchmark or Reading Level Assessment that you want to enable or disable from the drop-down list, then check the box(es) next to the school(s) where you want to change test enablement settings.
- Click Disable or Enable, then click Close.
The 2nd and 3rd Benchmark and Reading Level Assessments are not editable until the end of the previous testing window.
- Log in to Imagine Language & Literacy.
- On the right side of the dashboard, under the Test Settings heading, is a list of which tests are enabled or disabled for your school. Click Update Student Test Settings to change the Benchmark Test or Reading Level Assessment settings for your school.
- Click Edit next to the Benchmark or Reading Level Assessment that you want to change. You can only edit the applicable test window.
- Choose Enable or Disable for the test, then click Save.
The 2nd and 3rd Benchmark and Reading Level Assessments become editable after the previous testing window ends.