Each Imagine Lectura unit includes a Deep Reading Cycle. The Deep Reading Cycle is a group of 6 passages that help students practice their reading skills paired with 6 teacher-led Power Sentence Lessons that help students understand and develop academic language in each passage.
To facilitate the Deep Reading Cycle
- Introduce your students to the Focus Question. Have your students watch the Focus Question video and answer the associated question.
- Teach the Power Sentence Lesson.
The Power Sentence Lesson is interactive, whole-class instruction centered around the class discussion. Each Power Sentence Lesson identifies a single sentence from a passage of authentic text as a sample of academic language.
- Have your students read the corresponding passage independently and answer the in-text comprehension questions. Each passage includes text, images, videos, annotations, and questions designed to support reading comprehension and reinforce the Focus Question for that unit.
- Facilitate a class discussion about the passage using the Discussion Questions on the Passage Overview page.
Discussion questions are designed to provide opportunities for students to practice engaging in academic discourse. Students need to learn the techniques for academic communication, such as clarifying, elaborating, identifying common ground, and respecting differences of opinion.
- Review and grade student written responses.
As students read the passages in a unit, they answer comprehension questions within the passage text. Imagine Lectura automatically grades any closed item questions such as multiple-choice questions. Educators must grade any open-ended, written question responses.