Students take the Placement Test just once — the first time they log in to Imagine Language & Literacy. The test is enabled by default and cannot be disabled. The Placement Test takes approximately 25 minutes on average to complete. Individual completion times will vary depending on students’ skill levels: the time required may range from 10 minutes to 60 minutes.
Younger children may not be familiar with desktop or laptop computers if their experience with computers generally comes from devices with touch screens. Therefore, students using laptop or desktop computers may need additional support using Imagine Language & Literacy, especially at the beginning of the school year. Unlike younger students, students in higher grade levels may already be familiar with a variety of devices including smartphones, tablets, and laptop and desktop computers. Therefore, they may require less preparation.
The Placement Test is administered the first-time students log in to Imagine Language & Literacy. To help ensure that the Placement Test appropriately places students within the program, complete these actions before students log in:
Preparation: Computer Use
- Students using Imagine Language & Literacy on a laptop or desktop computer should be using computers that they are familiar with, if possible. Students will also need headphones for the assessment.
- For more information see, Imagine Language & Literacy System Requirements.
Preparation: Create Login Cards
- Students will need their login card to access the Imagine Language and Literacy Benchmark Test. For more information, see Printing Login Cards
Preparation: Login Display
- Use a projector or smartboard to show students the Imagine Language & Literacy login screen.
Make note of the username field and how to click into the password field.
Demonstrate how to use the ‘eye’ icon in the password field to display students’ passwords as they type.
Testing: Student Preparation
- Explain to students why they will be completing the assessment. The sample script provided below may be useful and can be adapted to suit specific implementation setups.
“As soon as you log in, you’re going to take a test to help Imagine Language & Literacy find the best activities for you. Keep your eyes on your own screen. If you don’t know the answer to a question, just try your best and go on to the next question. You’ll know you’re done with the test when you see fireworks on the screen. If you need help, raise your hand quietly and I will come help you.”
Testing: Testing Times
The Placement Test takes approximately 25 minutes on average to complete. Individual completion times will vary depending on students’ skill levels: the time required may range from 10 minutes to 60 minutes.
Testing: Student Monitoring
- During the placement test monitor students and encourage them to stay on task.
- Watch for students who are clicking through without reading the items. Encourage these students to read each item carefully and to do their best. Remind students to provide their best guess on a question even if they do not think they know the answer. Ensure that students do not receive assistance to answer questions.
Testing: Pausing a Test that has been started
- If students need to close Imagine Language & Literacy before the session ends, show them how to use the pause button (which leads them to the exit option) in the lower right corner of the screen.
- During testing, student testing status can be viewed.
Here are some quick solutions to problems you might encounter when administering the Placement Test.
Ensure the volume settings is turned up. Ensure the headphones are plugged into a USB jack.
If you lose connectivity during the test, reconnect your device which may include restarting your students computer. The student will automatically be placed where they left off when the computer lost its internet connection.
If a computer freezes during testing, closeout of the current browser and follow the login directions again. The student will automatically be placed where they left off when the computer froze.