The Beginning, Middle, and End Reading Level Assessment (RLA) enablement settings are independent of one another. It is possible to deliver the RLA for all administration windows, select administration windows, or none of the administration windows.
Below are details regarding scheduling and delivery for the RLA.
The timing of RLA delivery is affected by the following factors:
- The RLA is not available to students until they meet the eligibility requirements.
- At least 90 days must have passed since a student’s last RLA administration.
- If a student is in an activity when the RLA becomes available, the test will begin after that activity is completed(assuming the activity is completed within the administration window).
- If the Benchmark Test and RLA are both enabled and become available at the same time, the RLA will be delivered after the Benchmark Test.
Once a student begins the RLA, the test must be completed within 21 calendar days. If the test is not completed within this window, it terminates and results are not recorded.
- Students who do not meet eligibility requirements when the test becomes available, but do meet them later in the administration window, will receive an enabled RLA at that time.
Administrators can control when, within the three administration windows, students receive the RLA.
- Beginning RLA (Available August 1–October 31)
- Enabling before the Beginning administration window: RLA is delivered after the Placement Test or Beginning Benchmark Test (if student logs in after the Placement or Benchmark Test and during the Beginning window)
Enabling during the Beginning administration window: RLA is delivered the next time a student logs in (assuming the Placement or Benchmark Test is complete and the login occurs during the Beginning window)
2nd and 3rd Benchmark and Reading Level Assessments (RLA) are not editable until the end of the previous testing window.
Middle and/or End RLA (Available December 1–February 28; April 1–June 30)
- Enabling before the test administration window(s)
- If the Benchmark Test is enabled, the RLA is delivered after the Benchmark Test for that administration window.
- If the Benchmark Test is not enabled, the RLA is delivered the first time a student logs in within the administration window.
- Enabling during the administration window(s)
- If the Benchmark Test is enabled, the RLA is delivered the first time a student logs in after enablement occurs, but after the Benchmark Test for that administration window.
- If the Benchmark Test is not enabled, the RLA is delivered the next time a student logs in after enablement occurs (assuming log in occurs during that administration window).
Administration of the RLA and Benchmark Test (discussed previously in this document) may occur in succession. For instance, if students are taking the Benchmark Test and the RLA becomes available, they will finish the Benchmark Test and then begin the RLA. If a site is using both assessments and the potential for testing fatigue due to successive administration is of concern, consider requesting that administration delay the enabling of the RLA so that a period of time will pass between the administrations of the Benchmark Test and RLA.