Should you find a Managed by SIS message next to accounts or classes, it means your district uses a Student Information System integration tool to manage student, teacher, classroom, and administrator accounts within your district. To add or update student account information, you'll need to first contact your district's IT Staff to complete certain actions.
This article explains how you can add existing students to a class using the Step-by-Step method, which allows District Administrators, School Administrators and Educators to add one or more students to a single class at a time.
With the step-by-step method, you'll enter each existing student's Student Information Number (SIN), sometimes referred to as Student ID number. After searching on that information, you'll get to review the list of students who match those SINs and decide if you want to add some or all of them to the class. Knowing the students' names will help you verify that you entered the correct student SINs. From the results, you'll select the students to add, add them, and then confirm.
Prior to beginning this task, you'll need to know the required information to successfully add each student, which is simply their Student Information Number (SIN). Though it is also good to know the students' first and last names so that you can verify that information against the names that result from the search.
Before you begin:
- Make sure that if you see Managed by SIS, you check with your district's IT Staff, prior to adding students.
- Review the Adding Students article, to determine if this is the method you want to use for adding your students.
- As an educator, make sure that the class you want to add students to has already been created. As a district administrator or school administrator, you can ignore this prerequisite. You'll have the opportunity to add the class at the beginning of the process.
- As an educator who is not yet assigned to a class, note that you'll need to create a class before adding students. As a district administrator or school administrator, you can ignore this prerequisite. You'll have the opportunity to add the class at the beginning of the process.
- Make sure you have at least the following information to successfully add each students; first and last name, Student Information Numbers (SIN) or Student IDs, and grade.
To add students using the step-by-step method
- In the navigation pane, click Management > Students.
If adding students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom), skip this step. Go to step 3.
The Students page opens.
This page displays all the currently active students in the district, school or class, depending on whether you are logged in as a district administrator, school administrator or educator. The image above is from a teacher's class that already has some students assigned to it.
- Click Add Students.
The Let's Get Started page opens.
- Click Get Started.
The page that opens next, depends on your role, and also if you selected to add students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom) as opposed to the Students page (Management > Students).
If adding students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom), skip this step. Go to step 6.
District Administrators ONLY -- A School Information page opens.
This page displays all the schools in your district, and allows you to select the school, in which the class you are adding students to is located.
- District administrators ONLY -- click the school name.
A Classroom Information for [school name] page opens.
All steps from this point forward apply to all roles (District Administrator, School Administrator and Educator).
- Click the class you want to add students to.
If the class is not visible on the Active list, either it doesn't exist, or it has been Deactivated (set to Inactive).
- Class doesn't exist -- click Add a Classroom, enter a name for the class, and click Save to add it.
- Class is inactive (deactivated) -- follow the steps under Activating or Deactivating a Class, and then return to these steps after activating the class.
A page opens that let's you select to add new or existing students.
- Click Add Existing Students.
A Student Information page opens.
- Enter the SIN for each student, separated by a comma. Example:
- Click Search.
Some plug-ins (such as Grammarly) have been known to interfere with the use of the Search feature. Therefore if you have an issue, disable the plug-in while using the Search feature. Go back one step, disable the plug-in and then continue on to use Search.
A page displays with the results from the search on the SINs.
- Select the students you want to add.
- To select ALL students, check the top check box.
- To select any one or more students, check each student's check box.
- Click Add Selected Students.
A page opens for you to review the students you have selected, prior to confirming.
- Verify that the selected students are those you want to add, then click Confirm Changes.
If you see anything you need to change, click Edit Students, to revisit previous pages.
Once confirmed, a Success! page opens.
This page indicates the successful completion of adding students, and provides you with several other options for what you would like to do next.
For more information, see Adding Students.