This article explains how you can add new students to a class using the step-by-step method, which allows District Administrators, School Administrators and Educators to add one or more students to a single class at a time. If you want to add students to multiple classes at once, you'll need to use the CSV file method. For schools that have both the Imagine Math and Imagine Math Facts products, you can add students to a class and assign them to both products at the same time.
With the step-by-step method, you'll enter each student's required information. After saving that information, you'll have the option to manually set each student's login credentials, or let the application create them. You'll also have the option to indicate Individualized Education Program (IEP) students, English Language Learners (ELL), and you can add each student's support language preference. When adding students to a Grade 3+ class, you'll also have the option to set a different glossary audio support language for each.
Using the Step-by-Step method, you can add students to only one class at a time. If you want to add multiple students to multiple classes at once, you'll need to use the CSV file method.
Prior to beginning this task, you'll need to know the required information to successfully add each student; name (last and first), Student Information Number (SIN), and grade. Usernames, passwords, IEP, ELL and language preferences can be added later, on a student by student basis. Though if you already have that information, it might be easier to add it at this time, as you'll be able to do so for every student, without having to edit each student's account individually.
Student usernames and Student Identification Numbers are not district-specific, therefore, both must be unique to each student in the Imagine Math system. If you are receiving the error message Username has already been taken, it means that the username is already in use through the Imagine Math system; a different username is required for the student. If attempting to use a student's ID as their username, and the ID is already in use in Imagine Math, the ID cannot be used without altering it. For example, you can use another piece of information with the ID number such as, the student's first and last initials or the school's abbreviation. These additions will help make your student's username unique.
Should you find a Managed by SIS message next to accounts or classes, it means your district uses a Student Information System integration tool to manage student, teacher, classroom, and administrator accounts within your district. To add or update student account information, you'll need to first contact your district's IT Staff to complete certain actions.
Before you begin:
- Make sure that if you see Managed by SIS, you check with your district's IT Staff, prior to adding students.
- Review the Adding students article, to determine if this is the method you want to use for adding your students.
- As an Educator, make sure that the class you want to add students to has already been created. As a District Administrator or School Administrator, you can ignore this prerequisite. You'll have the opportunity to add the class at the beginning of the process.
- As an Educator who is not yet assigned to a class, note that you'll need to create a class before adding students. As a District Administrator or School Administrator, you can ignore this prerequisite. You'll have the opportunity to add the class at the beginning of the process.
- Make sure you have at least the following information to successfully add each students; first and last name, Student Information Numbers (SIN) or Student IDs, and grade.
To add students step-by-step
- In your dashboard - Quick Links, click Import Students.
If adding students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom), skip this step.
School Administrators and Teachers ONLY -- Alternately, you can click Management > Students in the navigation pane, then click Add Students, as shown below.
The Students page (shown above) displays all the currently active students in the district, school or class, depending on whether you are logged in as a district administrator, school administrator or educator. The image above is from a teacher's class that already has some students assigned to it.
- In the Go Step-by-Step block, click Get Started.
The page that opens next, depends on your role, and also if you selected to add students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom) as opposed to the Students page (Management > Students, or Import Students).
If adding students from the Classes page (Management > Classroom), skip to step 5.
District Administrators ONLY -- A School Information page opens that displays all the schools in your district, and allows you to select the school in which the class you are adding students to is located.
District Administrators only -- Click the school name.
If there is only one school in your district, this page will not appear.
- Click the class you want to add students to.
If the class is not visible on the Active list, either it doesn't exist, or it has been Deactivated (set to Inactive).
- Class doesn't exist -- Click Add a Classroom, enter a name for the class, and click Save to add it.
- Class is inactive (deactivated) -- Follow the steps under Activating or deactivating a class, and then return to these steps after activating the class.
** All steps from this point forward apply to all roles (District Administrator, School Administrator and Educator). For those who have both Imagine Math and Imagine Math Facts products, settings for both will appear and can be applied at the same time to a student, without having to switch between the products.
Click Add New Student.
The Student Information for [existing or new class] page opens, in which you enter the following information for each student.
- Enter each student's Last Name, First Name and Student Information Number (SIN), and select their Grade level.
Imagine Math Program automatically defaults to the correct application based on the grade level you select, though you can change it if you need to.
Setting Description First Name The student's full first name. Last Name The student's full last name. Student Information Number (SIN) A unique combination of characters that identifies the student in both the school and the program. There is a maximum of 64 characters. Grade Level The student's current grade level. The grade level helps to determine what curriculum the student should receive. Imagine Math Program Indicates the Imagine Math application to which the student will be assigned, based on their grade level. Imagine Math Facts Access
This setting appears only if you have both the Imagine Math and Imagine Math Facts products.
Indicates whether or not you want the student to have access to Imagine Math Facts. For example, if you have a student that requires more help in their fact fluency, you might want to enable their access to Imagine Math Facts.
- Imagine Math Facts only -- Check the Imagine Math Facts Access checkbox, if you want to enable Imagine Math Facts for the student.
- When finished adding students, click Finished Adding Students.
- Select the username and password creation option you want.
- Click No, Keep Defaults, to allow the application to assign usernames and passwords; then go to step 12.
- Click Yes, Create My Own, to assign usernames and passwords yourself.
- Enter a Username and Password for each student.
Setting Description Username
A specific name the student will use to log into the application. You can use all lowercase letters, all uppercase or a combination of both. You can also add numbers if you want. You must enter at least 4 characters, with no spaces, special characters or symbols. (Example: mBliss4012)
When assigned by the application, the student's first and last name followed by a string of 8 random but unique characters is assigned. (Example: elizabethhernandez51363ae7)
A unique set of characters a student will use, in conjunction with their username, to log into the application. You can use any combination of upper and lowercase letters, as well as numbers, symbols, special characters and spaces. You must enter at least 4 characters and no more than 128.
When assigned by the application, the student's password includes a combination of alphabetical and numerical characters.
- When finished, click Finished with Credentials.
- Select the Demographics option you want.
Demographics are simply options for setting student IEP, ELL, language, and glossary audio language preferences.
- Click No, Not Now, to ignore setting students' demographics now. You can add them later by editing each individual student's account. Skip to step 15.
- Click Yes, Set Demographic Info, to set students' demographics now. Continue with to the next step.
- Check and select the appropriate settings for each student.
Setting Description Student in an IEP Check to indicate that a student needs an Individualized Education Program (IEP). If not, leave blank. This information is used only for reports and don't impact student content. Student is an ELL Check to indicate if the student is an English Language Learner (ELL). If not, leave blank. This information is used only for reports and don't impact student content. Support Language
Allows you to set the language for the student's audio or the entire program, depending on their grade level. Available languages are: English or Spanish.
For Grade 3+ students, this setting allows them to access Spanish audio throughout the program, while with PreK-2 students, the entire application is translated into Spanish for the student.
Glossary Audio Support Language
Grade 3+ ONLY: Allows you to select a different glossary audio language for a student for whom English may be a second language. Available languages are: English (the default), Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Haitian-Creole and Tagalog.
- When finished, click I'm Finished.
- Review the entries and selections.
If you see an error message about a username already being taken, it means the username is already in use through the Imagine Math system, and usernames cannot be used by more than one student account. If you are attempting to use a student's ID number (or SIN) as a username, and it is already in use within Imagine Math currently, we recommend adding the ID to another piece of information such as the student's first and last initial or school abbreviation. These additions will help make your student's username unique. For example, John Smith, student ID 39487603 could be js39487603 or 39487603js.
- If everything is OK, click Confirm Changes.
If you see anything you need to change, click Edit Students, to revisit previous pages.
Once confirmed, a Success! page opens.
This page indicates the successful completion of adding students, and provides you with several other options for what you would like to do next.